The curved A1 and A2 Hard Armor Side Plates from Armored Republic are there for you when you’re exposed on multiple sides and need higher coverage: Made for any standard cummerbund side plate pockets, this steel armor provides rifle-rated multi-hit protection while being thinner than ceramic and polyethylene. This makes for a reliable low-profile option for rifle protection on all sides.
Note: these side plates are 6 inches horizontally and 8 inches vertically
Side plates are a useful addition to your setup whenever you’re expecting to be exposed on more than your front or back, such as in entry or defensive standpoints. Non-squared-off shooting positions, such as in hallways or in vehicles, also make side plates a highly valuable asset.
Armored Republic's A1 and A2 Hard Side Plates, which are 6 inches horizontally and 8 inches vertically are compatible with most plate carriers that include cummerbund mounted side plate pouches. It comes standard with a curved profile and a base coat of FragLock® configuration- this base coat protects the plate from the elements, gives it a 20-year shelf-life, and deflects fragmentation away from the wearer. An upgrade is available to give the steel plate a Build-Up FragLock® Coat, which captures the fragmentation completely instead of deflecting it away.
The A1 and A2 side armor plates are rated for 5.56mm M193 ammo at 3,100 FPS.
When used with our Adaptive Plate Insert in conjunction with a soft armor panel, our 6"x8" plates can be also used as a rifle-rated trauma/speed plate, offering enhanced protection for your heart.
*If you're using a Valkyrie or Invictus plate carrier you will need to also purchase side plate pouches.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where do side plates go on body armor? Side plates are placed into the cummerbund. They can be placed inside of integral pouches or mounted by add-on side plate pouches. Always make sure to check your carrier's cummerbund to consult if you have side plate pouches.
- What size is side plate armor? Side plate armor is usually 6" x 6" or 6" x 8". Keep in mind that 6” x 8” armor is 8 inches vertically. Unless you are tall, some carriers can position these side plates higher into your armpit leading to discomfort. We do not recommend 6” x 8” side plates unless you are 6 feet tall or higher.
- Are body armor side plates necessary? Simply put, it depends on your task. Modern doctrine will have you present yourself to your target head on which maximizes your body armor footprint presented to the bad guy. Vehicle operations and room clearing however can leave your sides exposed and for these tasks, side armor is recommended.
- What do side plates protect? Side plates protect the same vital organs your front and back plates protect, they simply protect them from side attacks.
Material: AR500 Steel, with FragLock™ Coating
- A1: 7.62x51 M80 Ball (i.e. .308) at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30FPS), 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,100 FPS (+/- 30FPS), 7.62x39 (i.e. AK-47). DEA Certified. Not rates for AP rounds.
- A2: 7.62x51 M80 NATO Ball (i.e. .308) at 2,850 FPS, 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30FPS) and 7.62x39 (i.e. AK-47). Not rated for AP rounds.
- Base Coat (3.45 lbs, 0.31")
- Build-Up Coat (3.65 lbs, 0.56")
- Base Coat (3 lbs, 0.25")
- Build-Up Coat (3.23 lbs, 0.50")
Capability: Edge-to-edge multi-hit protection
Shelf life: 20 years
Compatibility: Testudo, Valkyrie & Invictus Plate Carriers
- *If you're using a Valkyrie or Invictus plate carrier you will need to also purchase side plate pouches.
Manufactured: United States