Turn your favorite backpack into everyday handgun protection with our Hybrid Backpack Armor Insert from Armored Republic: Tested to Level IIIA standards, this bullet-resistant backpack soft body armor panel will protect the wearer from all pistol threats, stopping the rounds used in 95% of shooting incidents. Flexible and weighing less than 2 pounds, you can wear this armor insert for long periods of time without even noticing it. Also, at 15 inches tall and 11 inches wide, it can fit most any backpack while still providing expansive coverage.
Your best armor is the armor you have on you. That’s why the Armored Republic designed the Backpack Armor Insert specifically for our backpacks, allowing easy integration into an accessory you already take to your daily outings.
The Hybrid soft body armor insert can fit into your backpack apart from any dedicated department but also fit very well into a hydration or laptop pocket (in most cases alongside your laptop). It is made of Dupont Kevlar, Spector Shield, and Gold Shield Ballistic Fabrics. Because the panel is soft and flexible, it can be easily placed alongside other items without concern of them being battered or misplaced.
Tested in accordance with NIJ 0101.06 standards, the armor insert is Level IIIA rated with multi-hit protection against .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets (with a specified mass of 8.1 g (125 gr)) at velocities of up to 1,470 ft/s (+/- 30 ft/s), as well as against .44 Magnum Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets with a specified mass of 15.6 g (230 gr).
The ideal choice for staying prepared in everyday life; turn your commuter pack into a concealed bullet-resistant backpack capable of defeating most any round you’re likely to face.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there such a thing as a bulletproof backpack? No, nothing is bulletproof. Backpacks are bullet-resistant and are designed to stop specific threats mitigated by the various armor that is put in the bag.
- What can level 4 armor stop? Can a level 4 plate be put in an armored backpack? Level IV per the NIJ’s 0101.06 standards are rated to stop a single 30-06 M2 AP projectile fired at 51’ away, at a velocity of 2,880 FPS. This rating is NOT for multiple hits of this threat or lesser threats. Typically speaking, a level IV plate will stop a single bullet from most rifle threats and their AP counterparts. Yes, all Phoenix and Firebird armored backpacks made by Armored Republic have a dedicated laptop compartment that will house a level IV insert, or any of our other primary armor inserts in a 10” x 12” size (A1, A2, A3, P2, and C2).
- What are bulletproof backpacks made of? A backpack is bullet-resistant, not bulletproof since no one backpack insert can protect the wearer from all threats. A bullet-resistant backpack either has the armor sewn into the lining or an insert to place it in. Most backpacks have a soft armor panel since it is lighter weight (1-3 lbs) while steel, ceramic, and UHMWPE (polyethylene) can all be added to protect against rifle threats.
- Can a bulletproof vest stop an AK-47? There is no such thing as a bulletproof vest/armor- only bullet-resistant. Body armor cannot protect the wearer from every threat as each piece of armor is designed to stop specific levels of threats. Learn more by reading about National Institute of Justice (NIJ) standards in our Knowledge Base. An AK-47 and its 7.62x39 rounds are addressed by all level 3 and higher plates.
What level of armor stops an AR-15? Since level 3 does not address all cartridge types and barrel lengths used by the AR-15, level 3 plus and level 4 are recommended to address all 5.56 threats. Armored Republic’s A1, A2, and A3 steel alloy plates are all level 3 plus rated and protect against additional threats such as:
- A1 Body Armor: 7.62x39 @ 3,000 FPS, .223 5.56 M193/M855 penetrators @ 3,200 FPS and /.308 WIN rounds @ 3,000 FPS.
- A2 Body Armor: 7.62x39 at 2,850 FPS. Not rated for AP rounds.
- A3 Body Armor: 7.62x39mm M43 (penetrator) at 2380 FPS, 5.56 M193 at 3,250 FPS, and 5.56 M855 (penetrator) at 3,145 FPS
Material: Dupont Kevlar, Spector Shield, and Gold Shield Ballistic Fabric
Protection: .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets with a specified mass of 8.1 g (125 gr) and a velocity of 1,470 ft/s (+/- 30 ft/s) and with .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets with a specified mass of 15.6 g (230 gr)
Capability: Multi-hit protection
11" x 15"
- 1.47 lbs & 0.25” thick
Shelf life: 5 years
Compatibility: Most backpacks and laptop bags
Manufactured: United States